We are looking for an ambitious and innovative Head of Commercial to work within a high-profile and prestigious brand within M&E & infrastructure. The successful candidate will be a self motivated and driven individual who will lead on all commercial aspects within the transport sector of the organisation (Rail, HS2, Highways and Aviation) inclusive of potential, existing and new contracts across a portfolio of clients. You will be accountable for managing commercial risk and communicating this across a variety of stakeholders within the business. You will be responsible for the Profit and Loss management of the sector as well as people management of the QS/Commercial team, deputising for the Group Commercial Director when required.
Key Skills -
- Previous experience working within large infrastructure projects/ working within the M&E sector
- Previous experience within a Senior Commercial Manager or Head Of position.
- Proven experience of client/sub contractor management
- Commercial strategy setting and driving the business forward
- Commercial business development and breaking into new areas/sectors/projects & programmes
- Proven experience of people management and building teams
- Experience working in a Tier 1 contractor
- NEC contracts (all options)
- Responsibility for P&L of a sector or significant framework of projects
- Ability to challenge and promote new ideas/ways of working to drive the organisation forward
Key areas -
- Prepare, develop and implement commercial strategies for pre and post tender.
- Take a leading role in transitioning the handover of projects tendered into live projects, including re-benchmarking the commercial position on project award.
- Determination of the scope of work and contractual obligations delivering the work through the interpretation of contract documents.
- Advise the business on the differing standard form of contracts used for construction projects and dealing with key provisions including the rights and obligations of the parties.
- Identify and manage commercial risk on new and existing contracts.
- Quantifying and costing of construction works.
- Accountable for contract compliance and performance.
- Prepare and implement contract management processes.
- Can coherently explain contract conditions that identify variations to contract and
- Negotiate contract agreements and manage potential onerous contractual obligations.
- Contract administration including providing advice on contractual matters and formulating contractual/legal correspondence.
- Financial and commercial control including the production of profit and loss, cash flow, KPI, CVR and Cost to Complete statements.
- To review and interrogate monthly CVR's produced by the project teams.
- Work with Sector Managers/Directors to ensure projects exceed commercial targets.
- Perform continuous programme analysis with identification of any potential delays, risk, acceleration or thickening with appropriate measures taken.
- Liaise with Procurement for supply chain engagement/subcontract administration.
- Liaise with Finance to ensure a universally agreed position of cost, value, forecast and accruals.
- Use of Earned Value in analysing the commercial performance of project(s) in accordance with forecast and actual progress to date.
- Provides timely information on the growth of anticipated Final Account value.
- Demonstratable knowledge and understanding of Construction law and standard forms of contract. Knowledge of Engineering and client standards.
- Adept knowledge of MS Office packages inc, Excel, Project and Word.
This role will require 2 days per week in the central London office