£90000 - £100000 per annum + USS pension + 31 days holiday + bens
21 days ago
Imperial College is a global top ten university with a world-class reputation in science, engineering, business and medicine. We are a thriving, dynamic organisation with over 20,000 students, 8,000 staff and a turnover of around £1 billion.
The College are seeking to appoint a Director of Tax and Treasury. This is a newly created position that will be a key member of the Finance leadership team, shaping the direction and strategy of the wider function and providing key strategic support to senior management.
This is a challenging role with a broad range of deliverables; these will provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to make a significant impact on the way in which the College finances and supports its academic mission.
Selected responsibilities include:
- Be responsible for providing strategic leadership in the areas of tax and treasury, advising on the structuring of the College's £500 million debt portfolio and supporting the College's £500 million Investment and Endowment portfolios.
- Evaluate and recommend the optimal capital structure for the College in order to deliver its strategic objectives.
- Oversee cash and liquidity management for the College in both the short and long term, ensuring all cash forecasts are sufficiently robust.
- Manage, coach and mentor the tax, treasury and investment finance teams (11 roles at present).
- Negotiate funding arrangements including corporate credit facilities and public & private financing with the overall aim of minimising the total cost of funds.
- Providing expert tax and structuring advice on the College's long-term real estate development plans (with £1 billion investment anticipated over the next decade).
- Oversee the College's banking relationships and maintain external communication with banking counterparties and third parties including HMRC.
NOTE: The value of the financial transactions within the scope of the role is material, though the frequency is not high, so high-quality analytical support is required rather than a trading mindset.
The successful candidate should possess:
- A finance qualification, possibly supplemented by a tax and / or treasury qualification.
- Significant PQE advising senior managers on tax and / or treasury matters.
- Experience of arranging financing transactions and effectively negotiating / influencing external counterparties. (Exposure to real estate transactions would be an advantage).
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Strong people management skills, with the ability to develop and motivate staff.
- The ability to "look outside the box" and come up with novel, workable ideas.
- A proven ability to deliver results, with the skills to multitask and prioritise effectively.
- Strong team-working skills with the ability to work effectively with colleagues across different functions.