Voted University of the Year in 2021 by the Times and the Sunday Times Good University Guide, Imperial College is a global top ten university with a world-class reputation in science, engineering, business and medicine. They are a thriving, dynamic organisation with over 20,000 students, 8,000 staff and a turnover of around £1 billion.
The College is seeking to appoint a Director of Financial Reporting & Planning. This is a newly created position that will lead the College's management accounting, financial accounting & financial planning teams comprising 12 staff in total; the postholder will also be a key member of the Finance leadership team.
This is a challenging role with a broad range of deliverables; these will provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to make a significant impact on the way in which the College finances and supports its academic mission.
Selected responsibilities include:
- Approve and present financial statements & analysis to executive management and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Provide leadership & coaching to direct reports (and other team members) on all aspects of their roles including cost control, reporting and planning.
- Identify potential issues associated with unusual or complex transactions or proposed accounting and reporting rules; review and approve the appropriate treatment.
- Provide insight and strategic advice on trends, industry, market factors, customer behaviour and other revenue / cost drivers affecting the College.
- Drive the standardisation / simplification of systems & processes; create opportunities for teams to network internally to share knowledge and best practice.
- Confidently present controversial and / or complex information to a broad range of stakeholders at all levels across the College.
The successful candidate should possess:
- A finance qualification with broad exposure to a range of accounting & reporting issues.
- Significant experience of managing, motivating & developing both managers and team members.
- An up-to-date knowledge of relevant accounting standards and reporting best practice.
- Strategic and innovative thinking and the ability to deal with a complex portfolio.
- A proven ability to deliver results, with the skills to multitask and prioritise effectively.
- Excellent team-working skills with the ability to work effectively with colleagues across different functions.